Friday, January 2, 2009

God Bless Slovakia

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, it did. Since the Americans lost to Canada yesterday in pool play, they were forced to play in a quarterfinal game today. Their opponents were the Slovaks, who had been crushed by both Sweden and Russia. Easy cruise into the semi-finals right? Wrong. Somehow, in his heart of hearts, the big man upstairs found it inside himself to break the hearts of the Americans once again and lead the Slovaks to victory 5 - 3. The anti-American (ABA anybody but America) crowd at Scotiabank Place serenaded the Americans with the familiar "na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye", and the good old US of A will leave the tournament medal-less for the fourth year out of the last five.

Earlier in the day, Victor, Brendan and I went down to the Rideau for our second skate (dad did laundry), and we could only stand the cold for an hour before retiring back to the apartment for warmth. Some evergreen trees were added around the picnic table area as a windbreak, and along with the layer of snow, they made the canal more beautiful than ever.


Back to the Canadian team, Windsor's Ryan Ellis is getting mad publicity up here in Ottawa. There have been features on him in every paper, and we just watched a 10 minute report on TSN about how much he has shone in 09 tournament. Hopefully soon they will talking about the dynamic duo of Tavares and Ellis on the Spitfires powerplay.

The evening held Russia v. The Czech republic, and, as expected, the Russians beat up on the Czechs 5 - 1.
Up tomorrow is both semi final games where Canada gets Russia and Slovakia gets Sweden, hopefully we have two good games to watch before our roadtrip to Montreal on Sunday.

Happy Birthday to Dad and a Canada gold would be the perfect gift.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 41st Birthday Terry! I remember when you sang the BNL Tune last year, Old Apartment, at the Sandbar. This is another memorable year and the pictures are fantastic. I'll tape the Canada game tonight at 7pm. Go Team Canada and Ryan Ellis, #8... I hope he gets the well-deserved Player of the Game.
Kimmy

Lori_Myers said...

Happy Birthday Hon! I'm hoping you got to sleep in this morning and hopefully Kyle brought you breakfast in bed. OK the winning game would be much more enjoyable. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the great pics when you guys get home.

Have a great day and night!
Lori and Jessica
Just a little reminder about the pucks for my dad - Thanks