Saturday, December 27, 2008

Four straight guys go shopping

Day two of the Juniors was a slow one, with only one game in each of the Arenas. We opted out of watching the clash of the titans at Scotiabank Place between Germany and Kazhakstan, and instead decided to make our first trip to the Civic Centre, home of the Ottawa 67's. The game wasn't until 6:30 though, so we chose to again hop the river, this time for some much-needed groceries. We got some great deals at Costco, which consisted mostly of chicken wings and pizza.

The weather today was less than desirable, with the rain coming down in sheets; covering cars tire-to-sunroof in ice. The icy weather also proved dangerous for pedestrians, causing one (slightly) inebriated hockey fan to lose his balance and go ass-over-teakettle on an icy sidewalk. We can practically still hear the sound of his friends cackles several hours later.

The outcome of the game was fairly predictable, with the favoured Slovaks skating up and down on the bottom-dwelling Latvian side. This, however, did not stop some particularily exhuberant Latvian fans from proudly displaying their team colours: Aside from the fans however, the game lacked any real excitement, as the Latvian side did not put up much resistance to the Slovakian onslaught. Hell, they didn't even record a shot in the second period!

All in all, the day was a nice rest before our second doubleheader of the tournament, as we gear up to see Canada play Kazhakstan, and the U.S. take on the Czechs. Hopefully we can get some good weather in the Nations capital so we can take some good touristey pictures, but until then you'll have to put up with shots in the rinks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I finally figured out how to arrow down to home to see all of these previous pictures and comments. Nice beret Vic, I thought you hated the French. I also can't believe you drove the whole way either. I couldn't tape the Lions loss, because I was taping the Canada game. Olga's would have offered free original sandwiches, dine in only on Tuesday and Shields offered free large pizzas on Tues if they won, but of course didn't. I saved you the newspapers from Windsor & Detroit. Coach is supposed to be fired today and I don't think Donald Trump is being summoned to do it. Word is a possible Bill Parcels in. Go Canada! xo Kim